View Single Post
Old 09-03-2003, 11:31 AM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

27 October

Arvedui's post

The guardhouse, comfortably warm in the thickly cold night, made Brass Stonetoe inadvertently smile. "Ahh fire." He muttered as he pulled on the iron knocker. A shadowy man twice his size gave him a black-toothed grin and waved him inside. Even two weeks ago the sight of this behemoth would have been enough to send him into a stuttering ball of fear; but now he only nodded stepped inside. A great "Hoohhh!" washed over him, and Brass ambled over to the table where Bill Ferny and Olo Underfoot were playing chess. He blinked, Horribly bothersome game, chess. Straining to see what the big to-do was about.

Olo, beaming as though his birthday had come early, declared so all the cramped guardhouse could hear, "Checkmate." Brass clapped automatically along with everyone else in the room, it wasn't really important; but everyone else was doing it, so Brass figured he should do it too. He was just about ready to sit down for a good after-supper when, "Olbard!" An imperious voice made Brass turn, his blue eyes looking unfocused around the room. "Behind you." The voice corrected, pointedly.

"Oh." Brass turned and ogled at Olo Underfoot. "Sorry, I- how did you do that?" Olo's sharp brown eyes were alight with mirth. "Never mind, listen," He lowered his voice conspiratorially, "Tomorrow, you want to come with me to Tookland?" It wasn't a question, really. It was a statement. But still Brass furrowed his eyebrows. "Why?" "'Cause we're gonna straiten them out." That seemed fairly straightforward. "Okay." Olo broke into a wide grin, and handed him a hunk of cheese. "Then be at the usual spot in the morning, and not after elevenses, mind you." The other hobbit added shrewdly. That stung, but Brass looked at the wonderfully warm cheese in his hand and chose not to complain. "Sure, I know the score." His fellow sherif chuckled as he turned and walked away. "Sure you do."

He shrugged. Olo was planning something, he always was. But Brass was indifferent to it. So long as the good food kept coming, whatever he had to do, he'd do it. No sense in causing any bother, but as Brass sat down to revel in his cheese, he wondered why the Tooks didn't know that.

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]