View Single Post
Old 09-27-2003, 01:16 PM   #114
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I am SO SORRY! You have my undying apologies, but I am only just getting settled into high school. Yes, I'm a stinky little freshman. Still, I think I can start posting much more often, hopefully starting this week.

Here's a post to go in one of the 29th saves. I hope it works.

Fingering his empty pipe, Dury unconsciously stroked the curly-haired form curled up in his life. Mirda watched him with a frown. She had been overjoyed that Dury was willing to aid her family, but after she had heard the dangers…and after she had seen her husband's face… She watched him with a sympathetic frown. In the hearth, the fire was burning low. Mirdy should have been in bed hours ago, but if Dury was to leave the next morning… Soft but firm footsteps announced the arrival of Dora. Even at only four years, the little hobbit took being the oldest seriously, and was constantly wishing to help. Most times it was quite helpful, though she could go too far. Dury looked up to smile at her. Dora flashed him a smile back, though that quickly turned into a yawn.

"I'm sorry, muffin. I'm keeping you and Mirdy up."

Glancing down at the two-year old on his lap, Dury's smile widened.

"Well, I'm keeping you up. Off to bed now, I'm only to be gone for a few days."

"Five, da!" Dora exclaimed indignantly. She really was a lot like her father, though her mother was doing well in straightening her out.

"That's not so long. You know very well your mother can take care of you, and I expect you to take care of Mirdy."

"O' course."

"Off to bed now." Dora began to move, but then hesitated. "Give me a hug then."

She threw her arms around him, though careful not to jump on Mirdy. Then she picked up the sleeping hobbit-babe, and went slowly to their room, constantly looking back at her father. Dury could have sworn he saw her wiping her eyes, and he frowned.

"Will she be alright, Mirda, dear?"

"You know your daughter."

Dury grunted. "I suppose your right." He paused to put his pipe down, finally, and then looked up at his wife. Her eyes glistened, but not with their usual happy light. "But will you be?"

"Of course," she said, then laughed. Dury was glad to hear that. "I sound just like little Dora."

Dury smiled once again. "I'll be back soon. I know you girls can manage five days."

"You had best, Dury Greenhand, or I'll give you a reason not to!"

Dury rose from his chair to embrace his wife. She did not cry, and he was proud. He was much relieved, too. He felt a lump rising in his throat. Why had he even insisted on returning home for the night? He had said his good-byes before, hadn't he? Now he had a long way to go in the morning, and was going to cry and make a fool of himself. A hobbit had to be strong in front of his wife. Grasping for control over himself, Dury let go of his wife. Looking her in the eyes, he forced a smile. When he finally got into bed, he felt tremendous relief at having gotten through his farewell. Little did he know that the next morning would be as much a struggle.

Thanks! And, again, I am really truly deeply sorry! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]