View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #31
Puddleglum
Wight

Puddleglum has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxnaY AintsaY View Post
Do you think there's a distinction here between pure brawn and overarching force?
I do think there is, so the Tulkas/Melkor/Manwe comparison (at least) is less than clear (could be some mixing of apples & oranges). Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
but is it not the case that originally Manwë and Melkor were conceived of as being equally powerful
Well, I'm not sure if anything Tolkien wrote directly points to them being equal in might at any point in the story development - if you know of one, I'd be interested in it.

I wonder what we would have grown up thinking about their relative power if Tolkien had never used the word "coeval". Would we have gotten the idea of equal might somewhere else? Or would we have grown up thinking of Melkor as the single most mighty Ainu (the arch-prince, as it were) whose power went to his head?

For my part, I've sort of grown up thinking of Melkor as Lucifer to Manwe's Michael (or Gabriel?) - given Tolkien's Catholic background - so it could be I'm influenced by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I didn't mean to confuse the discussion in any case
I never thought you confused anything - just gave an opportunity for discussion of an obscure (to modern minds) word - which I kind of enjoy
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote