View Single Post
Old 09-08-2003, 02:28 PM   #7
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey people (back to prove that I'm still dead),

The alliance between the two towers, if you can call it an alliance, was certain to be broken whenever the Ring would show up. The reason that both parties worked for the Alliance was probably this:
- Saruman knew he was no match against Sauron without having the Ring and therefore wanted Sauron to believe that he was no foe.
- Sauron on the other hand was very content with him dealing with Rohan, and he was able to keep a close eye on Saruman using the Palantiri. I guess he found Saruman a very useful slave.

So, both had the intention of getting the Ring for themselves and Ruling over all others.

I do not agree, Phrim, with all that you said. For example: you say that Saruman 'had no idea that the Ring was not with Gandalf and company'. Saruman, I think, knew well enough the number and race of the members of the Fellowship. That means also that he knew that the Fellowship contained 4 Hobbits instead of two, and that therefore the Ring might be elsewhere. The reason for his assault on Rohan nevertheless is about the Ring for the chance that the Ring was not with Gandalf was very small or so you would think.
Therefore I guess he risked the chance of losing many of his troops, for he thought there was a great chance that he got the Ring and with Minas Tirith still in East as boundary between him and Sauron he would have enough time of building a greater army and Rule the Ring. Of course, things went all wrong woth Gandalf being send back with more power, rescuing Theoden and saving the Rohirrim from disaster at Helm's Deep.

I'm a bit confused about another thing, though. The part where Pippin looks into the Palantir and 'converses' with the Dark Lord, Sauron says: '... This dainty is not for him to take. I will send for it at once...'
Now, if Sauron believed that this was the Hobbit, the one with the Ring, than he also believed that Saruman could not overthrow him even with the Ring. Yet Gandalf says: 'His greatest fear is that a mighty one of us stands up wielding the Ring.' The 'His' is, no doubt, Sauron. And Saruman was considered mightiest of the Istari, so these two statements seem to contradict each other. Any other opinions on the matter?

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote