View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #31
Puddleglum
Wight

Puddleglum has just left Hobbiton.
More likely, it was simply that there were not enough of a concentration of Durin's Dwarves present in the Erid Luin to constitute a "Kingdom."
  • First they had their mansions at Khazad-dum.
  • When driven out, Most of them followed Thrain I to Erebor, where they established their new kingdom Under The Mountain.
  • Then Thorin I removed to the Grey Mtns where "most of Durin's folk were <now> gathering."
  • Later, after Dain I was slain, "most of Durin's folk abandoned the Grey Mountains" and while many went to the Iron Hills, Thror and the rest of Durin's folk returned to Erebor.
  • After the coming of Smaug, it's an open question why Thror and the remnant didn't go to the Iron Hills - maybe fearing that Gror wouldn't have been happy to be displaced by Thror in his own home - maybe Thror was too proud to take over lordship in a place built up be someone else, especially his brother.
  • However, given that few escaped the sack of Erebor, and the Iron Hills dwarves likely weren't interested in uprooting to travel to poorer mines in the Ered Luin - especially as they were over 1200 miles away - Thror (and Thrain & Thorin) had only a few followers - not sufficient to say "this is our Kingdom".
Once, however, Thorin's quest was successful, the Iron Hills dwarves *were* willing to relocate to Erebor - only about 200 miles - and renew the Kingdom - Erebor being a far more worthy destination than simple "Iron Mines" in the Blue Mtns.

Last edited by Puddleglum; 07-30-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote