View Single Post
Old 01-26-2003, 12:34 AM   #12
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

A lot of these points I agree with, but there is one which I would like to voice my opinion: Gollum. There is one line or so in the book, which can show that he probably wasn't evil from the start.

First of all, yes, Gollum had many chances to part with the Ring, but by then it was too late. Bilbo would have never parted with the Ring if Gandalf had not been there. Gollum had no one, as Deagol was dead. Now, it is in the question of Deagol where we wonder if Gollum was evil from the start.

Frodo himself would not toss the Ring into Mt. Doom, and I'll bet he might have gone as far as killing Sam if it ever came to it, and we all know Frodo is a nice guy, and maybe Smeagol killed Deagol under its influence. The Ring "choose" Smeagol because he was physically stronger. Smeagol didn't kill Deagol because he saw a pretty Ring.

The line in the book had Gollum caressing Frodo, who was asleep, and Tolkien said that if any of the sleepers (Sam and Frodo) had seen him, they might have mistaken him for an old weary hobbit.

I think Gollum deserves forgiveness. **hugs Smeagol**

Wow. That was longer then I meant it to be...