View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 05:57 AM   #509
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Advertisements in general have already been sent to Mordor, but I want to make sure that a few specific pet-peeve commercials don't miss the dump truck heading to the Morannon.
  1. Commercials for weight-loss pills or exercise machines. They always seem to find to world's most obnoxious actors to be on the ads.
  2. Pharmaceutical company ads. You know it's getting ridiculous when someone is advertising a particular type of hip implant on TV.
  3. This commercial I heard on the radio the other day claiming that a certain company's fish oil supplement would cure high blood pressure and high cholesterol. But they didn't stop there. The ad went on to encourage everyone to stop taking their "liver damaging" medications for those conditions and take the all-natural oil instead. This isn't just a phony ad - substitute fish oil for snake oil - but dangerous if someone really decides to replace their meds with this product. Not that fish oil isn't good for you, because it is, but it's not going to fix these particular problems on its own. And all similar ads can go to Mordor along with this one.

*takes a deep breath*

I feel better now.