View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #9
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
We presume that Arwen is looking for Frodo for the same reason that Glorfindel did. In the book, Glorfindel finds Frodo after he has been looking for 9 days - not the 2 that Arwen proclaims. He left on October 9 and found Frodo at dawn on October 18. That was (yet another) odd and pointless change.

Quote:
'Hail, and well met at last!' said the Elf-lord to Frodo. 'I was sent from Rivendell to look for you. We feared that you were in danger upon the road.'
'Then Gandalf has reached Rivendell?' cried Frodo joyfully.
'No. He had not when I departed; but that was nine days ago,' answered Glorfindel. 'Elrond received news that troubled him. Some of my kindred, journeying in your land beyond the Baranduin, learned that things were amiss, and sent messages as swiftly as they could. They said that the Nine were abroad, and that you were astray bearing a great burden without guidance, for Gandalf had not returned. There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south. It was thought that you might turn far aside to avoid pursuit, and become lost in the Wilderness.
This is another example of people who know the book making a movie without carefully considering the fact that everything should flow logically, even for those who haven't read the book. Glorfindel set out because of word from Gildor's group that Frodo met in the forest. In the movie of course, Gildor was never seen, thus botching the whole situation. Most viewers likely presumed that Arwen was just wondering why Aragorn hadn't made it home in time for supper. After all, she had Shake 'n' Bake, and Bilbo helped.

Way to go, Petey.