View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 06:57 PM   #68
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

The men and elves, after hearing of a second wave, began to relax and equipt their weapons. The morale was suprisingly good. The men, including Arathorn, thought they were just little ants. But of all the men, Anga doubted them the most. He began swinging his sword around, as if already battling. "Save the stunts for the actual fighting, Anga. You must rest for the fight. If you keep on using your energy for something like that, you might as well kill air, because that's all you'll hit!" Arathorn said in a grumpy mood , as he pulled out a pipe and began to smoke.

Arathorn never took well to boredom, and smoking no longer comforted him. Then, he remebered an old song Gilraen taught him. In a low mutter, Arathorn began to sing:

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though we pass them by today,
Tomorrow we may come this way
And take the hidden paths that run
Towards the Moon or to the Sun.
Apple, thorn, and nut and sloe,
Let them go! Let them go!
Sand and stone and pool and dell,
Fare you well! Fare you well!

Home is behind, the world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadows to the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.
Then world behind and home ahead,
We'll wander back to home and bed.
Mist and twilight, cloud and shade,
Away shall fade! Away shall fade!
Fire and lamp and meat and bread,
And then to bed! And then to bed!

Elladan, with his great hearing, heard Arathorn's song. "Here here!" he said, as he went back to watch the trolls. Arathorn wasn't that good of a poet, but felt like adding a verse. Consentrating hard, he began to sing:

I do not know where I may go
but it will not fill my heart with woe
for my spirit cannot be broken by foe
for it fills me from head to toe

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As the sky grew darker (which was hard considering it was already night), Elrohir drew out his bow and shouted, "They're here! We must assemble now!" Arathorn quickly got to his feet and assembled the party. "Well, here's our plan: Elves, cock your arrows and fire from the trees. Wait for my order to fire. Elladan, when the trolls get close, fire an arrow at the center of the ring. That will be our signal to get ready. Men, get behind the trees. The elves will fire, forcing them into the circle. Once in the circle, we will surround them! Any questions?" Arathorn said, hoping for silence. His wish came true.

As the trolls approached, the twins positioned the elves atop the trees. Arathorn had the men spaced out behind the ring. Arathorn was not afraid of the larger force. In fact, he welcomed the challenge. Suddenly, he heard a weird sound. It was a large sound. Only, it...was audible. "Smash! Crush! Smash! Crush!" The trolls were speaking. Suddenly, a golden arrow landed in the center of the ring, and Arathorn could hear the elves fire.

"Ahhh!" the trolls said, running into the center of the ring. The trolls weren't like the last batch. These trolls had hammers, axes, and maces. "Now men! Forth!" Arathorn shouted, charging into the ring. The other men followed. "Now elves! Cast them into the void" Elladan said, firing at a troll, striking it in the head. As Arathorn charged at a troll, it swiftly crashed his hammer in what would have been Arathorn's death site had he not jumped out of the way. Arathorn quickly slashed his sword across the trolls hand, climbed up the hammer, jumped off it, and cut the trolls neck. It fell to the ground. The other men were having a harder time. The elves continued to fire, except for Anga. He was out of arrows. Thinking quickly, he jumped off his tree, with a sword in his hand, and landed on a troll, his sword impaling the troll.

In the middle of the fight, Owacyn was hit with a mace. He fell down on the ground and couldn't get up. A very large troll was standing over him. "Silly human. Trolls win!" the troll said, grunting. Arathorn began rushing over to Owacyn, trying to save him, but didn't get there fast enough. Anga had jumped out of nowhere and killed the troll. "Nice work Anga!" Arathorn shouted, while dodging a giant ax. "Thank you!" Anga said, pulling Owacyn up to his feet. "Thank you" Owacyn muttered, drawing out his sword. In the process of helping Owacyn, Anga never saw it coming. "Anga! Watch out!" Arathorn said, running twords him. But it was too late. A troll had hit Anga 20 feet in the air. Anga landed on the ground in a loud thud. "Anga?" Arathorn said. Anga didn't move. "Why you!" Owacyn said, running twords the troll. Arathorn and Owacyn both jumped and cut down the troll at the same time. But it made no difference. Anga was dead.

Last edited by The Perky Ent; 06-03-2004 at 01:26 PM.