View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 02:56 PM   #16
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I don't think it's fair to say that the movies have ruined the books. It's not the movie's fault that people get on their high horse and say that they are LotR proffessors when they're not (my aunt is one of those people...drives me nuts), but that is their problem...not PJ's & Co.

Quote:
everyone suddenly began proclaiming their eternal love and devotion to the great masterwork of Tolkien, even those that scoffed at me years ago.
Sometimes when people see it on screen, they understand it better and they like it better. The books are very complicated for some people and the movies simplify that. I know a lot of people don't like that but they have "introduced" true Tolkien fans. It's not a bad thing, that's for sure.

People, like me, don't have all the time in the world to read Tolkien, much less the Silmarillion.

Quote:
Would Dr. Tolkien really have wanted this? I bet he is turning in his grave in the moment. Who gave the copyrights to movie publishers anyway? *burst into tears*
Well, have you ever read the Letters where some punk wanted to make an animated movie and Tolkien pointed out everything that was wrong with it? Thank goodness that PJ did only one thing listed (at least, that's what I remembered): Aragorn drawing out his sword.

Even before there were the movies, the books were the second read books across the nation. Whenever anything is popular, even in the "old" days, there's going to be things made about them, books published about them, etc. People were writing "Frodo lives" in the Subways, people were wanting to name cows and plantations after LotR, and who knows what else. It's just in a different form.

Last edited by Imladris; 02-17-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote