View Single Post
Old 03-27-2003, 12:40 PM   #17
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gil-galad looked up as Darthin presented Melost and his squire to him. When Melost saw the empty table, he knew that the dinner invitation was just an excuse. The King had another mission for him. He sighed, and hoped dearly that it would not delay his return to Rivendell. Gil-galad graciously allowed them to sit, and fruit was put on the table. Gil-galad beckoned to them to take, and Thelian took an apple, but Melost did not. He tried not to look at his lord while waiting for him to speak.

Gil-galad studied Melost's face long. Melost was an expert at hiding his feelings, but Gil-galad noticed that his eyes looked back and forth, without patience. Apparently he was waiting for something.
"Melost, I have a task for you. Isildur is coming, and we will meet him in Rivendell. Yet I wish to know before that meeting some information. Therefore, take this letter and bring it to Isildur, and get his reply and return here swiftly."

Darthin gave Melost a message, which he sat with long and watched. He was relieved that it was nothing requiring longer time, and when his mind accepted the fact he raised himself slowly. He then bowed, and was going to leave but his eyes finally met Gil-galad's. The king's gaze pierced his soul through his eyes, and revealed his thoughts. Before he allowed Melost to leave, he gave him a final instruction, although he did not remove his eyes from Melost's.

"I doubt there is any servants of the enemy nearby, but if there is risk of capture, memorize it and destroy the letter. Should you have no ways to escape capture, kill yourself so they cannot extract the content of the message from you. I do not wish for the enemy to know of our presence here yet."

Melost did not say anything at these orders; during the war 1300 years ago, he had often acted as a messenger from Lindon to Rivendell, and had to travel through enemy-held territories. Thelian could not help to gasp, though, and when Melost left the tent Thelian followed quickly, still looking a bit schocked.

Gil-galad rose and watched them as they dissappeared between the many tents. Thelian was surprised at the last order he had given Melost; another one of his soldiers, who was not ready yet to die, Gil-galad thought to himself, not without a sense of bitterness.

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: Daniel Telcontar ]