View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #16
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oh, what a disgusting topic, measuring amounts of man flesh needed...

Anyway, Uglúk says nothing about how much did they eat. He certainly sees "man flesh" as a reason to hold Saruman high in his eyes. So it was certainly something "special". This does not mean it was not served everyday, but it also does not mean it was. It might as well have been that this was a bonus... anyway, the idea of Easterlings seemed unlikely to me because it would be very, very hard to get the "transports" across the Anduin and then across Rohan. I am not saying it is not interesting, and the argument of Saruman knowing the East is quite logical, I like that explanation. But somehow, it seems too much improbable to me...

And that thing about Gandalf... you are right that most of the records come from the Red Book. However, don't forget that Bilbo was, after all, the one who knew him best, as well as all the others, Frodo, hobbits, elves. And an idea of Gandalf lying to Elrond seems laughable to me. First, Elrond would know. Second, Gandalf wouldn't lie in front of these people and in such a grave matter. Third, I doubt Gandalf would actually lie at any moment. And to the things you mention: He didn't know about the Ring: he had just some fear or suspicion, but he was not sure, which in the end turned to be a very dangerous delay. Tricking the Trolls into quarrel was a matter of saving the Dwarves. And as he himself says, he "was not available" all the night: he was scouting ahead and when he returned, he started to act rightaway.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote