View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
Just realised after my millionth viewing that they don't seem surprised to see Gandalf. Now us book readers obv. know why this is, but did Movie Gandalf go to see Treebeard? book gandalf went so he could ask treebeard to send his troops towards helm's deep to mop up the stray orcs. Movie Treebeard had already sent them off though.....
Ah, but you forget that Treebeard hauled the little orcs off to see the White Wizard, who would decide their fate. Remember the scene where Merry and Pippin are cast to the ground and they look up to something that shines like a white light? PJ was playing with us, making us think that Treebeard was handing the hobbits over to Saruman, the other White Wizard. So that's why they aren't surprised to see Gandalf.

Quote:
notice the book has this take place at the balcony rather than the top of orthanc.
Saruman and Wormtongue watched the flooding of Isengard from the balcony, and that was when the Ents were 'hot.' Being on the roof surely was safer but unnecessary.

Quote:
he did hit that orc. armour is a wonderful thing!
...especially when it's invisible. Legolas hit the 'running orc' twice, once in each shoulder. Was this orc's head that thick? Don't remember seeing glasses, and so this orc's eyes must have been protected by some really good contact lenses - why else not an eyeshot? But I concede that the wall had to be breached, and so will quit my whining.

Quote:
painful scene to watch, but my 8 year old loves this scene. Must try to remember this Movie is for kids too, not just 30 something guys tut tutting at the screen every 5 minutes!!!
If only to be only "30 something" again...I have no problem having something in there for the kids, but does the humor always have to go to the (insert appropriate word meaning the equivalent for 'toilet')?

Quote:
Reading the book again, it's not clearly mentioned why gandalf sets off for Minas Tirith. (exept in a quick aside to Pippin on Shadowfax) And obviously book Pippin doesn't see the burning tree in his vision. But PJ has decided to put the whole reason-detre around these scenes being the catalyst for the everyone to move towards Minas Tirith. Not really to my liking, but I can put up with it I suppose......
Gandalf sets off for Minas Tirith to (1) get Pippin as far away from the palantir as possible and (2) get to Minas Tirith before the storm breaks. The Winged Nazgul have crossed the Anduin, and so Gandalf, unlike his movie counterpart, knows that war is nigh and that it will strike at Minas Tirith.

Thanks for posting.