View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002, 12:23 PM   #42
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘And as for you, I see my thoughts have not been clear. You have not understood.' She took his hand and kissed the tips of his fingers. Her grey eyes met his and held them, seeking the words to tell him that all this talk of choice was meaningless.

His brow furrowed at her hesitancy, afraid what she might say. She smoothed the worry from it with her fingers, and smiled gently at him. Outside, the edge of the storm beat against the ship, the rain drew a dark, thick curtain across the waves.

Inside the tiny cabin, a clear, steady light burned between the two - the Man intent on understanding; the Elf on being understood. 'My choice was made when first I beheld you loved me. My fate sealed when you claimed my heart and kissed me once again. It cannot be undone, Mithadan. Not here, not in Aman. Nor would I wish it so.'

Her face was grave, then, as she spoke to him, and an elven-light shone in her eyes. 'I have turned from the way that leads West, Mithadan. My course is joined to yours, and I am happy for it. He took her hand and laid it over his heart, covering it with his own.

Pio looked deeply into his eyes and saw the nascent hope, the dawning understanding.

'There is a certain custom among my people, Mithadan, which seals forever the bond of which I speak. Simple words, spoken clearly, in which our union is both blessed and witnessed.' She took his hands in hers. 'Will you now say them with me?'

He returned her gaze steadily. His hope now secured.'I will, Piosenniel. Gladly, and without constraint.'

She called then upon Varda Tintallë to bless their union; to kindle the undying flame of their love for all the years of their life in Arda and for the unknown times beyond.

Then prompted by her, Mithadan called upon Manwë Súlimo to bless their union; to fill them with the breath of Arda that gives hope to those who dwell within it, and dispels all darkness.

With hands and hearts now joined, in a clear voice, filled with Light, Piosenniel now asked that their bond be sealed and witnessed by Eru, the One, Father of All, Ilúvatar.

So was it done. And no further words passed between them

She reached for him, then, and drew him gently to her.

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]