View Single Post
Old 12-09-2002, 02:47 PM   #259
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tentatively, Parin settled into a chair across from Piosenniel. She was intrigued by the elf's way of speaking and wondered what service she could perform that the capable-looking lady could not handle herself. I've thought of everything I could imagine palatable to her, did I forget something? Did I step on her feet without realizing it?

Quote:
‘Tell me about yourself, Parin. What brings you here to the Shire? And to work at the Inn?’
she heard in the gentle tones of the elf.

Parin cleared her throat. "What do you wish to know about me?"

"Well, for instance, how is it that your parents are not missing your skills around their home? Why is it that you do not abide with them until the day some wise dwarf comes to make you his?"---this with a provoking side-smile.

The dwarf frowned at the reference to both parents and possible romance, feeling the color rise to her face once more, this time in frustration. "There was conflict at home. My mother thought I was too clumsy and distracted in to be much help to her; generally she just bustled me out of the kitchen.... Father, well, he blamed me for encouraging my brother, dear Davin's, dreamy nature. He also told me a man-dwarf would never care for the likes of me....I wanted to mature, to please them, but I didn't seem to change. I hoped going out on my own and seeking outside relationships might change me enough--that my rough edges might be worn down enough--that they would accept me and love me when I return to them. So, I struck up with a band of dwarves, making their way here to re-stock Dwarin's ale stores. I thought surely he would take me in, give me work, and so he has."

"Mmmm." Pio murmured, sympathetically, as she sat back and sipped her wine, "And how have you found the place?"

"Much to my liking," replied Parin, impetuously, "the people here are so different!" and then looked hastily up to make sure she hadn't offended.

"Different indeed!" the elf laughed jovially. I think I'm going to like you, Parin Foot-in-your-mouth!"
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"