View Single Post
Old 12-08-2002, 03:08 PM   #247
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘The old dragon, eh?!’ she said to Nop, filling in the rest of the edited word. The dog lifted his head and snorted as if to emphasize the truth of his master’s description. ‘Well, I have had some dealings of old with such Wyrms. Perhaps those encounters will stand me in good stead.’ She chuckled to herself, recalling a particular dragon with a sharp tongue and a wicked sense of humor. Nop patted her boot and gave a low-pitched growl. ‘That tough a one, eh, my friend?!’ Her eyes sparkled in anticipation of the encounter. ‘We shall see.’

Strains of a fair song filled the air briefly. The notes flowing from the violin like a sudden breeze, the singer's voice riding the twists and turns of it like an Eagle of Westernesse soaring high above the western lip of Meneltarma. She nodded toward the pair as the song finished.

Thank you. her mind called out, as she smiled.

Looking round the room, she spied the server she had spoken with before – a pretty Dwarf, her long, shiny yellow braids catching the lights of the fire and lamps as she bustled efficiently about the tables. When she drew near, a tray of empty tankards, bowls, and dirty cutlery deftly balanced on one hand, Pio motioned her over.

‘When you have done with delivering that tray, might this good dog and I have something to tide us over until Master Thistle returns? Some fruit and bread for me, if you will, and a small glass of wine – red.’ She looked down at Nop as if consulting with him. ‘And a small dish of fresh scraps for the tired worker, and a bowl of water.’

Grey eyes looked steadily into the deep brown eyes of the Dwarf, wondering how such a one as she found herself working in an Inn. She laughed as she thought of it, recalling some of the ‘jobs’ which had seen her through hard times. The woman had nodded her head at Pio’s request and turned to go to the kitchen. ‘Wait!’ called the Elf. ‘I have been rude, I think. I am a stranger here, and you have been most courteous to me.’ She extended her hand to the Dwarf’s free one.

‘My name is Piosenniel, or Pio, if you prefer. And yours is . . .?’

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]