View Single Post
Old 12-08-2002, 02:14 PM   #245
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"The name I was hoping that would stir someone's memory is that of Cami, or rather I should say, Camellia Goodchild."

Elfred saw the look of sadness come over the face of the beautiful Miss Piosennial, and wondered that one of the Fair Folk would have any memory of one of his kind: happy, sad, or anything else.

And yet there was no doubt: with a name like that, she had to be speaking of a Hobbit. The genealogy of the Shire Folk were full of Goodchildes, but the family itself had died out long ago. And yet that particular name did stir some type of memory in Elfred...where had he heard such a name?

Then his heart sank, and his face became as long as that of the Elf sitting across from him. He did know someone who might have help this sad stranger, but the thought of seeking her out made Elfred shudder. He had hoped to pass through Bywater unseen without having any dealings with this particular person. But the old shepherd had to face it: he would have to meet "the dragon" after all.

"Well, Miss Piosennial. Perhaps I do know someone who may have some information for you, though I doubt her memory could be anywhere near as long as yours, begging your pardon."

"I remember my mother-in-law mentioning a name like that at family gatherings, when the talk would turn to tales about the old days, so to speak." The Elf-lady's eyes glowed with hope at this, and she leaned forward into her chair.

"Now I don't want to get your hope up too much, Lady. You see, I married a Bolger. Now that might not mean much to the likes of you, but around here it means plenty. My mother-in-law, Amarantha Bolger, never took much to the idea of her youngest daughter Celandine running off and marrying one of those 'outlandish' Bree-folk, meaning me of course, and a shepherd to boot."

"Now since my dear Celi had passed on, I haven't had much to do with the ol drag...I mean, the old lady, and she may not want to come and speak to you, but there's one thing we can count on: old Amarantha may be as mean as a cross dog, but she is also as curious as a jackdaw. I'm betting that the chance to meet with one of your kind might just pique her interest enough to get her away from her cozy fire and over here to the Green Dragon. That and the fact that she never turned down a good glass of wine if she had the chance, not if someone else is buying."

"Now if you can just wait here, I'll trot over to her hole and see what I can do. Oh," said Elfred, wringing his hat in embarrassment, "would you mind if I left old Nop here with you? Amarantha never cared much for animals in general, and Nop in particular. It might make it a little easier if she didn't see him on her doorstep, if you take my meaning."

"Of course, Master Thistle. Nop will be fine here with me, and good company." said the Elf with a smile. And indeed, the little collie seemed quite happy to lay where he was, head resting quietly on the soft, worn riding boot, (and drinking in the good smell of Elf, which is like no other smell in Middle-earth, and is loved by all good beasts.)

So with a nod and a touch to his forehead, Elfred went out into the night to face down his mother-in-law. Piosennial sat by the fire, searching the memories of ages and idly stroking the head of the sheepdog.

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]