View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 02:19 AM   #2
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Seriously, if you'd told me back when I first read the Silmarillion that I could one day have illustrated copies of the Great Tales sitting as novels on my bookshelf, I would've laughed you off the stage. This is amazing.

Sadly, I think it's unlikely there will be anything new (other than the art) in the book: it'll be like Beren and Luthien, a compilation of the various versions. I imagine it will start with Of Tuor... and then segue into the 1917 Fall of Gondolin to finish the story. Then... might we dare hope for the various fragments of the Earendil tale to round it off? I don't remember a Gondolin poem that could provide an alternative, so...

The big question in my mind is: is this the last one? The obvious answer is yes: Christopher has now managed to get all three of his father's Great Tales released as their own books, which given how much the Professor cared for them - the Children of Hurin he spent the most time on, the intensely personal Beren and Luthien, and now the Fall of Gondolin which began it all and which the entire history pivoted on - would probably have been one of the Professor's goals had he not been able to publish the Silm itself.

But there is the possibility of no, and more forthcoming... what about a Lee-illustrated Akallabeth, drawing on the 'Notion Club Papers' and the 'Lost Road' (and maybe 'Aldarion and Erendis'?) to flesh out the sparser parts of the completed work? A dream, maybe - but not one outside the realm of possibility.

hS

PS: But, er... are the publishers drunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Publishers
But [Ulmo] works in secret in Middle-earth to support the Noldor, the kindred of the Elves among whom were numbered Húrin and Túrin Turambar.
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote