View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
In any case, Lórien was still fairly a big place. There probably would be exactly some glades where you could grow local Elvish forest-corn, whatever it might be...

Somehow anyway, in general, the image of an Elf toiling in a field doesn't really seem all right, so I would guess the Elves would mostly live on the diet of "what the earth gives freely"; of course the regime would be probably somewhat different in hyper-effective and "technological" military states of the Noldor in the First Age.

Anyway, lembas, as we are told, was not a normal bread (such as the normal part of daily diet, something you put butter on every morning), but a kind of special travel rations for long journeys and so on. So one really did not need that much space to grow enough for the use (mostly it would probably mean supplying the guards who partroled the edges of Lórien, and how many would there be, especially with the diminishment of the amount of Elves present?).

As for other things mentioned in the first post, I am fairly certain at least Rivendell would have orchards, and I see no problem of a few hilltops in Lórien having some nice fruit trees on them. Or even if not, I can imagine the Wood-Elves thriving on a diet of 90% berries fairly well - or to be fair, hunters would have a lot to add as well, and there you have a decent diet already. (I mean, look at places such as Finland.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote