View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
elvet
Pile O'Bones

elvet has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I have no plan to see the movie, but I think it's noteworthy in itself that you make the distinction between "Tolkien" and "Jackson" fans. If PJ had just changed all the characters' names, that, along with the script changes in LOTR and TH could have given him his blockbuster films without angering us horrid, close-minded "Tolkienistas" at all.
And it is an important distinction. The movies are an interpretation of Tolkien. The question should be whether Peter has done a better job than other directors would have done, not how closely the movie adheres to the source. Personally, I think he has done a fine job of bringing Middle-earth to life.

In so far as the reviews go, I think that there is some validity in having a general consensus of positive reviews equating to a better movie. A visual story needs to be balanced, well-paced and presented, and most critics (currently) report that Peter has done a good job.
For Tolkien movie fans, it doesn't really matter if the film is critically acclaimed. We're going to see it regardless, and probably like it regardless. It would be nice to have a thread where we can revel in each other's enjoyment, rather than hearing about how bad this or that was.
elvet is offline   Reply With Quote