View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Don't know. Loved bits - actually loved bits of it far more than the bits of LotR that I loved.

Disliked other bits - & some bits lost me. This was my first 3d film & the glasses didn't help - in fact the 3d didn't help. 3d glasses are a nightmare to keep in place over specs & I was too conscious of the 3d effects - every time something came out of the screen at me I was taken out of the film. At other times I found myself focussing so much on the 3d I stopped following the story.

Anyway. Liked the bits others liked - Erebor & Dale, Bag End & the battle of Azanulbizar. Riddles in the Dark. Lots of it seemed to go on too long & drag in events & characters for not very well explained reasons. Still, all in all I don't feel like I wasted my time or money. Overall fun, exciting & occasionally moving. Not sure how it will stand up to repeated viewings.

Irritating bits, inevitably. And annoying lapses of logic. How come Thorin & the Dwarves can fall about 600 feet in Moria & just get up & walk away, only for him to be knocked senseless a bit later by a couple of thumps from Azog? The Moth/Eagles thing is now very old - even before seeing Gandalf employ it (as we will) at the Battle of Five Armies. In fact, a number of points where I got the feeling that they'd run out of ideas.

I'd say, chill out, go see it expecting nothing, don't be too critical & you'll enjoy lots of it.

Maybe more later.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote