View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Werewolf, why to play or not to play?

I’ve been a bit amazed about all the controversy around WW that occured some times ago and also a bit astonished about the relatively low interest on the game of late after that (this fall).

So I think it’s about time to have a separate discussion thread for matters of WW in general, not limited to particular games discussion threads or the general TiG-thread which mainly serves it’s purpose with handling the oncoming games and their moderators.

I do understand why there has been some controversies. Playing this kind of game easily brings forwards all kinds of feelings and if one gets too involved it’s easy to see the things said in the game thread as personal comments. I know it as I’ve had that very same backbone reaction myself many times. One just should get over that reaction and to see it’s a game – and fun, as it should be.

So we should remember that it’s a game to be enjoyed, to have fun with. Not an occasion where our value as human beings is evaluated. As an optimistic person I’m not at all confident that this is the reason why the games have attracted less popularity of late. I’m just not willing to believe it. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

So what is it then?

Do people feel that the games have gotten too competitive or too serious? I myself don’t see the point of that argument but would be willing to see the argument to consider it. But for my part I’d like to argue the opposite. A year ago many people were much more serious and competitive than in the last games I’ve been in. Or at least that’s how I perceive it.

Is there a feeling that the “crossbar has been raised too high” as we say in Finland? That to be able to take part one would need to be a wizard? There has been an increased tendency in the games that it is generally discussed whether one should be able to get through a game with posting nothing / posting just oneliners but that I think is a different thing. I can see why many people (including me) call for participants to actually play the game and not just hang around. But why wasn't there this problem a year or two ago?

Or has the time just gotten past the game? Was it a fashion that passed away? I see many of the people who were used to be the active and brilliant WW-players who have not been seen too much around in other threads of late either (spm, Morm, Spawn, Fea, Anguirel, phantom, Roa, Diamond, Durelin, Valier, Farael, Glirdan, Nilp... all those legends of the game! - sorry if I forgot someone...). So is it even more gravely that the ‘Downs have lost a bunch of active people in the first place? (That discussion might be a place for another thread I think)

So what do you think?

Why should one play werewolf and why not?
Why there are less players now than there were?
What could be done to it?

I mean I love the game and I love to play it with you people.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote