View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #96
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
Yep. I've established that Haldir is an unnecessary show off. Surely you'll concede that point.
Nope. Not unless you provide some convincing evidence that he was prepared to reveal the workings of Elven magic (technology etc) to a group of virtual strangers, as opposed to simply showing them how they crossed rivers and ambushed Orcs (things that any Tom, Dick or Pippin could work out, and indeed do, if they put their mind to it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
I've also established that "magic" items are simply made the way they are and that they are used as they exist. In other words, you won't hear Celeborn say "Outsiders are coming! Quickly, flip the magic switches on your cloaks so their magic stops working!"
On the other hand, you won't catch members of the Fellowship continually bumping into each other simply because they are wearing Elven cloaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
If Pippin, for instance, was in league with Dol Guldur, he could report "There are no bridges anywhere across the streams and rivers of Lothlorien. The Elves use ropes to cross.
Which would be handy to them, as otherwise they would be completely stumped. After all, it's not like they could chop down a tree to cross the river or anything, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
You cannot say that things can magically happen outside of rules and explanations just because it is a work of fantasy.
Agreed. But the nature and function of the Elven rope is not in the least inconsistent with other aspects of Elven magic (technology etc) or with other aspects of Middle-earth (fire-breathing dragons, rings of invisibility, glowing (and talking) swords etc).

Still waiting for an answer to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Moreover, there is nothing in the passage that you reference which could specifically relate to Entwives, save for the presence of gnarled trees. And Middle-earth is hardly devoid of trees, gnarled or otherwise.