View Single Post
Old 09-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #37
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Feminine Powers

Thanks for answering my question, davem. It was not exactly asking why the idea of femininity as a whole, but "Why the Old Forest?" You explained it quite well; much of Middle-earth could be considered a feminine presence, although I agree with what Aiwendil said:

Quote:
We ought to consider this from the point of view of Tolkien's mythology; if we do, we see that there is a distinction to be drawn. The earth itself - the soil, the rock, the mountains - is associated with Aule and is masculine. But the plant life that covers it - the grass, the forests, the athelas - is associated with Yavanna and is feminine.
That makes sense with the Old Forest association. But, this has strayed from the chapter and so I shall try to find feminine presence in chapter 12.

Quote:
"More deadly to him was the name of Elbereth" --Aragorn
followed by

Quote:
But even as he held it [the Witch-King's blade] up in the growing light, they gazed in astonishment, for the blade seemed to melt, and vanished like a smoke in the air, leaving only the hilt in Strider's hand.
Firstly, the name of Elbereth was important because it was as if Frodo was "invoking" her power simply by speaking her name. All evil seems to fear her and her power, as even Morgoth/Melkor did:

Quote:
Out of the deeps of Ea she [Varda/Elbereth] came to the aid of Manwe; for Melkor she knew from before the making of the Music and rejected him, and he hated her, and feared her more then all others whom Eru made.
Second, as stated before the Sun, in Middle-earth, is feminine -- different from most mythology, but it works here to support this idea. The Sun is a powerful force of nature which, like the name of Elbereth, greatly weakens evil. Instead of in the movie, in which the blade simply "evaporates" at a nice timely point after Aragorn identifies it, it only vanishes with the arrival of the Sun.

Just another enforcement of the Sun's power (although perhaps it belongs more in the "Importance of Weather" thread):

Quote:
The morning dawned bright and fair; the air was clean, and the light pale and clear in a rain-washed sky. Their hearts were encouraged, but they longed for the sun to warm their stiff cold limbs. As soon as it was light, Strider took Merry with him and went to survey the country from the height to the east of the pass. The sun had risen and was shining brightly when he returned with more comforting news.
A rather obvious statement on my part, but the Sun also serves to "light the way" and bring cheer into their hearts. Later it says that

Quote:
Even Frodo felt better in the morning light
and then

Quote:
Ever since the sun began to sink the mist before his eyes had darkened, and he felt that a shadow was coming between him and the faces of his friends.
which again, shows the weakening of evil in the daylight. That's enough for now on the Sun, there are several other references in this chapter as well. Near the end of the chapter Frodo tries to ward off the Nazgul by speaking Elbereth's name again:

Quote:
"By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair," said Frodo with a last effort, lifting up his sword, "you shall have neither the Ring nor me!

Then the leader, who was now half across the Ford, stood up menacing in his stirrups, and raised up his hand. Frodo was stricken dumb. He felt his tongue cleave to his mouth, and his heart labouring. His sword broke and fell out of his shaking hand. The elf-horse reared and snorted. The foremost of the black horses had almost set foot on shore.
This time, Elbereth's name does not daunt the wraiths. This could be because when Frodo was stabbed on Weathertop, he was not under the influence of the wraiths, since he did not have the shard of the blade embedded in him. Now with the shard within him he began to slip into the "wraith world" and therefore was weaker. Then they were able to control him, as the Witch-King did by striking him dumb. But we also must take into consideration that he was in the wraith's world when he was stabbed, since he was wearing the Ring. However, he was more of an "intruder" in their world, not yet under their influence. Because of this he was more able to resist them, and his words had more sway.

I find Nilpaurion's point about the "avenging" blade to be very interesting. Although Frodo hears a "shrill cry" when he strikes at the Witch-King, Aragorn later says that it was his cry of "O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!" which probably was its cause, and the blade did no harm. Why, then, was Merry's blade able to harm the wraith? As before, I would say that since Merry was not in the wraith world when he struck at the Witch-King, his blade could harm him, but since Frodo was, his sword had no effect on the powerful Nazgul.

Wow, I just reread this... so many quotes! I hope I actually made a point or two somewhere in between them all!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote