View Single Post
Old 02-27-2023, 10:55 AM   #4
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
I wonder why the Estate is so opposed to its publication? It's a rather odd position to take on an original JRRT poem.
It's a very strange position to take. My only thoughts are either that Urulókė overstated things in order to shut down potential trouble on TCG (perhaps the actual position was more of a "there are no current plans to publish"), or that it's tied up by way of its source - I seem to recall the Estate don't want any of Tolkien's other private letters published, for example, so if it came from one of those (like Concerning... 'The Hoard') they might have blocked it on those grounds.

I've taken a stab at the first prose paragraph, and hoooo boy, Mim is crazy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Complaint of Mim the Dwarf, Part 2
All these things that my eyes beheld, while they were yet clear, and I was young and the world was kind. Why have I bound myself to them, to craft them out of my memories! They sprouted in my heart and writhed under my hands, bending and (twining) themselves into strange and beautiful forms - always growing and changing, and rooted ever in the memories of the world and in my love for her. Then one day I stopped awhile and raised my head, and my hands rested on the stony workbench. I saw my craft. It grew out of Mim, yet it was Mim no more, and he marvelled thereat. Jewels I beheld, radiant in the light of my small forge-fire, and now they lay in my brown hand, old now, yet still slender and crafty. And I thought to myself: Mim was very clever. Mim had worked very hard. Mim had a fire in him, hotter than the forge. But Mim has poured almost everything into these things. They are a piece of Mim, for without them there is little left of him.
Definite shades of Feanor here.

hS