View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #15
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
As I make my way through RoP, I have noticed that the characters I have been enjoying the most are the non-canon ones, whereas most of my misgivings has been towards the Canon ones, particularly Galadriel. This has lead me to wish they did a "stories from Middle-earth" style, filling in the gaps in the book story such as what has happened to the men that served Morgoth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
Gil-Galad, good to see you stop by!

I had not thought about it, but I generally tend to agree. I find Galadriel less palatable than, for example the Harfoots. This goes back to someone else's comment that our ability to enjoy RoP may, in part, turn upon whether we can avoid comparing it to what Tolkien actually wrote.
See I am a bit torn, I think the actress does an okay job (though Kate Blanchet will always my Galadriel to me), but her story line just annoys me.

The harfoots are a delight, and so far the plot in the Southlands is interesting (though I hope Galadriel's buddy never becomes part of it).

So I guess i agree? I just don't think it is because the characters are canon that I don't enjoy them, it is because the plot and dialogue is substandard.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote