Thread: Evil things
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #109
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
My own feeling as regards the whole behaviour of the Noldor is that they are trying to 'actualise the Music' which includes getting to ME as fast as possible, to confront & destroy Morgoth - of course they ride roughshod over many good things, do terrible things, but they are being driven by an unconscious desire to make the world as they feel it should be. Probably this makes them do things they should not even consider, but they are being 'driven', & if driven by the Music, then driven ultimately by Eru, who composed it. They are driven by hate, anger, pride, desire to put right a wrong. Their ultimate motivation is to put the world right, make it as it should have been - as far as they are capable of understanding it.

Quote:'If not the Pride of the Noldor, Manwe in person may have headed the renewed pursuit and kicked some arse, which pursuit may have been reversed just 'thanks' to the rebellion of Feanor and his kin. No knowing. '

But the point is, Manwe doesn't have that luxury, to put on one side his, & the Valar's responsibility to deal with Morgoth, till the Noldor had been humbled, because in doing that he's leaving Men, Sindar & Dwarves to suffer at Morgoth's hands. My own feeling is that the Valar were in shock at the mess they'd made by intervening & bringing the Elves to Valinor, & so went to the other extreme, & decided to opt out of ME altogether - or as far as they could. They didn't know what to do for the best, but their choice was a bad one, & if not for the Noldor in ME we can't say whether Morgoth would have achieved final victory - with a possible force of Dragons, Balrogs, enslaved men, dwarves & Sindarin Elves at his command. What the Valar should have done is put the issue of the Noldor on one side, dealt with Morgoth, & then found a way to deal with the Noldor.

For all their 'sin' the Noldor are the perfect 'shock troops' to hit Morgoth with - & the reason they are so 'perfect' in that role is not because of their remaining virtues, but because of their 'vices' - anger, pride, & desire for revenge. Nothing short of a direct attack by the Valar (which wasn't going to happen straight away) would have been more effective against Morgoth. Because of the Noldor the Valar had time to find the right way to deal with Morgoth in the end. The Noldor hold the line till the Valar are ready - which may imply that the Valar make use of them in that role - for all their condemnation of them.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote