Thread: Evil things
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 01:38 AM   #81
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

OK, so bodies do not have a choice in their motions. so that analogy is flawed. But I was trying to refute this:

Quote:
Men's different freedom is mainly expressed in a way they die.
Yes, Men are given the choice to leave the World, but in it they can also change the Music within the World.

Quote:
...to shape [the Atani's] life, amid the powers and chances of the world, beyond the Music of the Ainur, which is fate to all things else.

(The Silmarillion 1 - emphasis mine)
"of the world" is included in the same sentence as "beyond the Music of the Ainur." It just tells me that while in the world, Men have freedom of choice - within Eru's bounds, that is -, no matter where the Music seems to push them.

Quote:
"Beyond the Music" in a quote provided indicates exactly what it does - that Men leave the World after they die,
This tells me that you think the World is the Music. I think the World, and everything that happens in it, is the result of the Music. Therefore, "beyond the Music" doesn't necessarily imply "beyond the World."

Must leave now - only working on a rented computer. And I'm running out of cash.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote