View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #2367
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Thanks for reminding us about the characters of Aforglaed and Scyrr, Legate! I think many of us forgot a host of things in the thick of things running amok back there - at least I did.

But now I think it's up to you Legate to decide - as you have been the main writer for Scyrr - whether his actions in Groin's last post were ones he would take.

If they are out of bounds for Scyrr, we can probably change some things with Pio's help without totally deleting the post. If you come up with a reason why they would fight, then great (we can then just change a few lines from their speeches). If there is none, then we'll have to edit a bit more to make Erbrand and Lithor run away without Erbrand beliving he killed someone. I think both things are doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
if Nog especially you think that the folks look weird from Athanar's POV, I would like to hear that, as the point is of course his perspective... but you didn't seem to protest in the beginning (quite the opposite) and they seem to have not changed (unless counting Groin's incident)
There's no problem if there are one or two problematic characters - well whatever from the list of: dislikeable, hot-headed, brutal, proud, non-considerate, prejudiced, rude, idiot, aggressive, self-centered, warmonger, villaneous, vile, brutal... whatever. As you said there probably have been a host of that kind of guys in the military through ages (and I'm not saying Aforglaed or Scyrr would be especially bad). But at some point it seemed that all the characters who were written belonging to lord Athanar's retinue were that kind of guys - while of course all the old Scarburgians were the "good guys". Well Groin had a lot to do with that impression building up. So it was starting to feel that enough is enough.

The feeling I was getting at one time was that lord Athanar was surrounded by a mob of scroundels. And that would not do. Even if some (many) of our characters in the Mead Hall would dislike the newcomers to begin with (which they really should do), that doesn't mean the writers of the Mead Hall should start painting lord Athanar's retinue as a bunch of villains. They're still eorlinga, probably more like from the "better end" of them.

Now happily Foley has taken this new character Quin who's already a different character.

I do agree with you Legate that there should be no major "hunting-party" to go after Lithor and Erbrand - especially as Scyrr is still alive and not probably even so badly hurt. I think people of the Mead Hall would be informed that the two had left - and it will be interesting to hear how different characters will react to that. In due time - like the next time there is a courier to pass messages between the MH and Edoras - lord Athanar will inform king Eomer about a deserter soldier and that's it - I think. Erbrand sure is free to go, and beating someone up probably isn't a crime that would lead into major search-parties in the ME, but a soldier leaving his duty might warrant some notification - not that he would be actively searched for but if met somewhere he would be brought to face justice for deserting his post.

That's how I would see it - and hopefully / probably we need not bother with those issues if and when Lithor and Erbrand just are away.