View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002, 07:47 PM   #101
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
Sting

"Foolishness indeed!" Thorondruin exclaimed. "Why are we all standing around in here? Dineniel, we need horses. Go back to the inn yard and get us five." He condidered Amanalkarion's purple beast for a moment with disgust. "No, get six. No knowing when we'll need a spare. I'll show you where to meet us after we're done with the caravan."
He led the others outside in the direction of the caravan camp. A wolf's howl could be heard in the distance. "That reminds me. Ozracles, do something about that wolf. It's unnatural fo it to be following us around like it has."
Ozracles nodded grimly, for once in aggreement with the other man, and started off in the direction of the howling, then paused and looked back suspiciously.
"Trying to make me miss the slaughter, were you? Well it won't work," and he rejoined the rest of the group.
Thorondruin gave him a look of disgust and annoyance. "I don't care if you join the 'slaughter' or not, as long as that wolf is done away with." Ozracles muttered something unitelligible.

Suddenly, shouting was heard to the right. Himelilek had startled one of the caravan guards and was holding the point of her Pendulum against his throat. As the others ran up, she thrust the knife into his throat, killing him.
"That shouldn't have happened," Thorndruin said, angry, and the others responded with varying levels of enthusiam for the killing. Ozracles was especially incenced.
"What do you mean it shouldn't have happened? She shouldn't have killed him? Is that what you're saying?" He had shoved his face into Thorondruin's and grabbed him by the collar. Thorondruin grabbed his wrist and pulled back, releasing himself. He continued to pull until Ozracles looked ready to snap.
"No, fool. We're a mile yet from the camp. Why, do you suppose, there is a guard here, a mile from his post?"
The barbarian refused to answer, only growled and gnashed his teeth.
"That's right, they've been alerted. Now I wonder who could have done that?"
Ozracles' rage turned to shock. "Are you accusing-" But at that moment, Thorondruin releaased him and drew his dagger against Ollea, who had panicked at the thought of being discovered and drawn her sword. But before Thorondruin could do anything, a large, furry shape hurdeled out of the bushes and landed on his back, knocking him to the ground. He thrust the dagger which had been pointed at Ollea behind him and felt it sink into something soft and warm. He threw it off his back and turned around to discover a large and angry wolf, injured but still alive, crouching on the ground, snarling. The gang drew around it in a circle and stared at it. Ozracles, however, knew what had to be done. He drew his sword, saying, "Well, this is one wolf that won't be doing any more spying."