View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #3869
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Well, I'm not an old writer by any stretch, but I was planning on killing off one of my characters during the winter. I am still debating whose reaction I would rather write about, but I was leaning towards one of them, and if Cnebba is to be orphaned then my choice is clear. The tyke is gonna go. And when that's gonna happen, Ledwyn will reveal something to someone - no idea who, I'm still thinking about that, it should be a person who wouldn't exactly spread a rumour but whose conscience would tell him to seek advice from other people and let half the Hall know. Or maybe not. Or maybe a random NPC. I wanted to do a different twist about Ledwyn's past, but I forgot how many details she already told Saeryn in the kitchen, so this one would have to do. And it would fit in with her character as well, since she's not exactly Scyld or Rowenna when it comes to those things.
*Hilderinc raises hand* How about this confidant?

I assume with lot of stuff, it would be logical for Ledwyn to confide to a woman, but if it's under good circumstances, it could be anyone, right? I mean, game-wise we could develop any good reasons for how the relationship of these two might've induced that possibility. But in any case, my main reasons for thinking about this were out-of-game ones:

1. Hilderinc is exactly the type you are talking about; also, he has the air of being silent and trustworthy, it's almost his prime, if not almost only visible attribute, which brings me to

2. if I want to keep Hilderinc, I desperately need to kick him off a little bit with something action-inducing. I will definitely use the timejump to make him more invested in the people and the place and make him grow, but things like that would be a nice bonus. But whichever way you like.

In any case, as for my characters, there is essentially the option to keep Hilderinc and take some random new character (preferably very different), or ditch Hilderinc and keep one of the NPC soldiers (most of which I had been writing for more than other people, I daresay) such as Áforglaed and do the same, or e.g. do some hybrid thing such as keeping Hilderinc, keeping Áforglaed as another NPC who stayed, but having him married to some random local woman whom I would take as second character. What I definitely do NOT want to do is ending up with two soldiers, and I would not like to take just two utterly different new characters either (too much discontinuity). Actually the option #3 (Hilderinc, NPC Áforglaed+wife) makes the most sense to me at this point, but I'm still thinking.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories