View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #3859
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I certainly hope it doesn't take months to start writing again! I think we have momentum now and the longer it takes to actually start writing, the more momentum we lose. And personally, I'm really eager to start actually writing again. I don't think we necessarily need to have all the details worked out - we can leave some room for making it up as we get there.

In the interest of expediting things, I've attempted to make a character list of all the characters currently at the hall, no longer how long ago they were last written about. I've grouped them by characters whose writers have expressed interest in continuing the story, characters whose writers we haven't heard from, and NPCs, along with a brief description to let those who are new or who have forgotten sort of who they are (character bios linked on the first page of the discussion thread). From this we can create a shorter list of characters who will still be around at the time when we pick up.

Characters with Active Writers
Athanar son of Herewald - new Eorl of Meadhall (Nogrod)
Stigend – Carpenter (Nogrod)
Modtryth – Stigend’s wife (Lommy)
Cnebba – Stigend/Modtryth’s son (Nogrod/Lommy)
Wulfric & Wilheard - sons of the new Eorl (Lommy)
Rowenna – Serving woman (lmp)
Eodwine – Former Eorl (lmp)
Master Falco Boffin – Hobbit (lmp)
Harreld Smith – Smith (lmp)
Garreth Smith; - Smith (lmp)
Laerdil – Elf (lmp)
Léofric (Leof) – Ostler (Firefoot)
Scyld – Formerly of the household where the new Meadhall was built; makes himself useful where possible (Firefoot)
Ledwyn and her son, Theolain – Recent arrivals to hall (G55)
Hilderinc – Athanar’s soldier (Legate)

Characters with Inactive Writers
Coenred (Coen) - Athanar's right hand man/in charge of his men (Durelin)
Tyrdda – Serving woman, originally from Scarburg area (Durelin)
Raedwald – Soldier, did not come with Athanar (Eonwe)
Thornden – Eodwine’s 2nd in command (Folwren)
Javan – Thornden’s younger brother, assists in stables (Folwren)
Saeryn – Eodwine’s wife, lady of the hall (Folwren)
Quin of Edoras – One of Athanar’s younger soldiers (Folwren)
Náin son of Narin son of Nori – Dwarf (Formendacil)
Crabannan – “Trouble-maker”/Jack of all trades (Gwathagor)
Wilcred – Seems to have come to Scarburg with Eodwine (Gwathagor/NPC?)
Kara – Serving woman (Kath)
Frodides – cook (Kath)
Ginna – serving woman (Lhuna)
Randvér – Ginna’s father, not necessarily at hall (Lhuna)
Lilige Wynflæd's maid (loslote)
Wynflæd - wife of Athanar, the new Eorl (Mnemosyne)
Balvir – soldier (Nerindel)
Iomhair – young woman (Nerindel)
Aedel – young woman (Nerindel)
Matrim Astalder - soldier, caretaker of Aethel (Nerindel)
Ædre - daughter of the new Eorl

NPC's
Baldwic – soldier (NPC)
Fearghall – soldier (NPC)
Áforglaed – soldier (NPC)
Scyrr – soldier, troublemaker (NPC)
Aldric – soldier, womanizer (NPC)
Garstan – Stone worker (NPC, originally Celuien)
Garmund – Garstan’s son (NPC)
Leodern – Garstan’s daughter (NPC)

For a start, I'd recommend writing all of Nerindel's characters out - she only wrote about 5 posts for all her characters in the thread. Eonwe's character Raedwald can probably go as well; he hasn't been active in a long time. I'd be hesitant to kill off (distinctive from write out) any of Folwren or Durelin's characters since they were active "recently" in the hall thread. Wilcred has not been written about since the very beginning of the Meadhall thread - he can probably go. Not sure about Crabannan - Gwathagor sometimes pops up. Kara, Frodides, and Ginna are long-time fixtures of the hall - not sure how that affects what we do with them (also sort of depends on Ginna's romantic sub-plot...). Aedre, Wynflaed, and Lilige can all go with Athanar. And Nain can just be out and about - as a Dwarf, he's obviously not from Rohan and need not be present at the hall. Thoughts?

Obviously anyone present can make their own decisions about their characters.

Thoughts on the NPC's from the writers who have had more to do with them?

As far as the intervening timeline, I think a hard winter followed at some point by Athanar and co leaving is a good outline; should be enough of a basis for people to start thinking/writing about their characters in the interim. And as far as the conspiracy/rebellion goes, what sort of details do we need to hash out before starting to write? I personally don't feel over-concerned about this as I feel like I can create enough personal drama for my characters regardless of the overarching plot-line, but understand why others who are more involved might feel differently.

I just don't want this to stagnate with ideas and lose new writers while we sit around hashing out the details. Hope this helps a bit.