View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 04:23 AM   #3851
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Shield

Does not sound bad to me. I would be certainly too for at least a bit longer time jump, five years is, I think, a nice middle ground if some people don't want to jump too much, but others would prefer a longer jump. I could even do with longer. But depends what is the thing everyone would like to do with their characters.

For myself, the hot irons I have there, i.e. existing characters I could carry on, are all Athanar's soldiers, there is Hilderinc and then the NPC guys, who are sort of fleshed out and I could pick some of them up (such as the young Áforglaed, who could now be a bit more grown-up), they could be left behind on the account of being responsible and useful to Eodwine. Hilderinc was the sort of second-in-command after Athanar's marshal Coenred, so he could be a reasonable choice to be "gifted" to Eodwine. But of course another reasonable thing would be for me to start with somebody completely new. A nice middle ground I've been thinking about could also be e.g. letting Hilderinc stay and, for instance, taking some random peasant from the local area as wife, or somesuch, and then I could have her as a second character. But that's just one possibility, personally I'd maybe prefer even something more original (also the "original" Hilderinc I designed would take a bit longer in settling down), but let's see.

But yes. The idea of e.g. moving Athanar elsewhere and some people remaining behind etc. sounds reasonable. Did you mean, Nogrod, that our potential new storyline would start e.g. just after Athanar has left? As in, the "meanwhile" would be that for the last five (or however many) years, Athanar and Eodwine had been sort of co-ruling the area, with Athanar making sure things work, and after certain period of time, King Eomer saw that things seem to be working fine, and was like "okay, now we can get rid of this unnecessary two-lords rule and seeing that Eodwine can probably take care of things from now on, let's move Athanar somewhere else?" So we might start just after everyone has left? Or would we have it so that the "moving out" happened already several years ago, and the household is just running, and then something problematic might start happening?

In any case, I'm all for some local trouble stirring there. Like G55 said earlier, you can only spend so much time describing how people are eating their breakfast. Although I am not as bloodthirsty, I don't think we need a full-scale bloody rebellion or all-killing plague, but something dramatic, and rather closer to the too dramatic side than to the peaceful side, would not be bad.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories