View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #3850
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I see some people are unhappy with a too long time-jump (ten years) even if I myself would actually prefer that – to make things new enough for everyone. Maybe we should then do something like a 5-year jump?

I mean I’d really like that we previous writers would need to adjust to a new scene and somewhat new characters as well (a middle-aged person would be becoming old, a kid turning into a teenager, a young adult into a responsible adult etc.). But sure we should go as most of the people wish.

What then might have happened between the time the story ends for now and between the restart?

I think everyone who has written to the story should think about their characters – and everyone should share some thoughts on the general backgorund issues.

~*~

A very short synopsis of the second Mead Hall aka. what we have been writing up to now (the first Mead Hall was a different beast altogether – but if someone would like to reanimate her/his character from there, I think there should be no problem with that).

Now if I remember it correctly the establishing of the (our “second”) Mead Hall in Middle Emnet was an idea of King Eomer to bring the Mid Emnet under the rule of law – and showing the local lords they couldn’t oppress the people around their lands as they pleased. And it was also a gift & a task for lord Eodwine. But with lord Eodwine’s illness king Eomer had to appoint a new lord to the newly established (or actually “in the very early stages of being established”) Mead Hall.

That then ended up with a host of problems both inside the Mead Hall (as those loyal to lord Eodwine and those loyal to the new lord Athanar kind of skirmished it out between themselves) and outside it (the local lords standing up against the rule of king Eomer’s rule via the Mead Hall). The most obvious and immediate outer problems were dealt with, at least initially, by lord Athanar’s boldish action, but the inner tensions didn’t go away even if both lords Athanar and Eodwine (who returned to his wife and the mother of his coming child after being healed) tried to cool things down and tried to work together.

There were a lot of plots and sub-plots involved and many character-stories intertwining there which we should remind ourselves of, if and when some of those characters involved do take part in the new edition of the Mead Hall, or we find some of the possible plots so intriguing we wish to let them make a difference in this situation many years on.

~*~

My intial suggestion would be that we let lord Athanar be appointed by king Eomer into a new position somewhere else – and he probably should take his family and (most of) his soldiers with him – now some of them could be left into the Mead Hall if some writers would like to keep them there and we could then come to terms whether they were ordered to stay (as enforcements to lord Eodwine’s men) or were willing (and given leave) to stay, or whatever…

Also, if we wish to have some added interesting characters, we might leave one or both of lord Athanar’s sons there – they were really reckless guys when they were young the last time we wrote about them. It might be interesting to see what kind of men they would turn out when growing little older.

Lord Eodwine should, I think, be the lord and eorl but he’s clearly getting older – which I then think would make Thornden ever more important character in the Mead Hall (he was alredy appointed a seneschal by lord Athanar), if Folwren is ready to take that.

I think myself and Lommy could keep on writing Modtryth, Stigend and Cnebba – as they are a long time household family and basically have nowhere else to go.

If we let lord Athanar go, I might fancy taking another character depending on what kind of characters are needed (maybe one of lord Athanar's sons - or then something completely different?).

Plotwise I think the local lords could be a wealthy supply of problems, like fex. they had acted "decentlyish" as long as Athanar was there (as they had learned for good that he can play it tough as an eorl) but with him gone - and them not knowing Eodwine - they'd form a conspiracy or even rebel openly - whatever we wished.

Or we could catch on one of those many odd plotlines introduced we have mostly forgotten already (we need to check them)... or...

What do you think?

Last edited by Nogrod; 05-05-2015 at 04:18 PM.