Thread: Sauron's name
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Erestor
Pile O'Bones

Erestor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
But that still doesn't help resolve the Mouth of Sauron problem--- set up by Aragorn's observation at Amon Hen that the dead Orcs bearing a white S-rune must be Saruman's because Sauron neither used white nor permitted "his true name" to be used.

(second continuity error- Gorbag's Orcs from Minas Morgul did in fact use white)
Actually, that second one never struck me as a continuity error.

Quote:
And he does not use white. The Orcs in service of Barad-dûr use the sign of the Red Eye.
I see the emphasized remark as an important specification. They were talking about the S-rune and the possibility that it would stand for Sauron. This would imply that those Orcs would be under Sauron's direct command, or at least as close as it could be, and thus in service of Barad-dûr. I think one should view the lands conquered by Sauron not as one big realm, but divided into different areas which were ruled by his vassals, comparable to the fiefs of Gondor. For this reason I don't view the armies from Morgul as Sauron's "personal" armies, but as the Witch-Kings armies. After all, their has to be a good reason the Morgul-Orcs carried a different emblem. In this light, the remark of Aragorn makes sense.

Don't have much to say about the other error though.

Last edited by Erestor; 12-30-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Erestor is offline   Reply With Quote