View Single Post
Old 04-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #52
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A slip in time

"I should say you won't," proclaimed Ruthven loudly to Oin, tapping her finger with some purpose on his shoulder. "You leave off boxing Finky's ears for such a kind and considerate offer."

"I'll do nothing of the sort," retorted Oin. "He's my concern and I'll thank you not to tell me how to handle him." He struck a haughty air and tried to jump up in the mud. But the combined effect of shakey footing on the mud and his motion to push her finger away threw Oin off balance. Instead of finding a dignified position from which he could tower over the old woman and the other dwarf, he fell forward. Right into Ruthven. The two fell into the mud, Oin on top of Ruthven, Ruthven underneath and mired into the deeper part of the mud.

"Now look what you've done," wailed Finky, who was aghast at the tumble the old woman had taken.

He stood up and reached over to help her up.

"Oi!" she retorted, her arm pulled faster than the rest of her body could move. She jerked her arm back and Finky came with it, falling on top of the two of them.

"Oooph," complained Oin, who was still trying to get up off Ruthven, but whose feet kept getting caught in her shawl.

"I will box your ears," retorted Oin, "for falling on me." With that he tried to knock Finky on the left side of his head but Finky ducked. He hit Ruthven instead, his hand covered in mud.

"Watch your hands, you meddlesome dwarf," yelled Ruthven as the mud from Oin's hands spread over her face. She grabbed at Finky, whose shoulder was the only thing she could find to give herself a firm grip as she tried to stand.

"Mind your knee," Oin grumbled as she half raised herself and he turned to fend off the offending knee.

"What are you doing throwing mud at her?" Finky cried as he lifted his hands up.

"I'm not throwing mud at her. She assaulted me," cried Oin, bent over into a position of some defense.

"Fie she did!" retorted Finky. "You're harming an old woman!"

"She's done me a damage!" moaned Oin. "And you'll pay!" He reached out to pull Finky's beard, now caked with mud.

It wasn't hard to tell where this drama would lead...