View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 06:05 AM   #106
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hope: it was a word Scyld had scarcely dared to think in many years. He had been so unhappy for so long that for a long time he had not even known what he wanted anymore, had not known what it would take for him to be happy. He would have responded to such a question as Eodwine’s with scathing cynicism (if he was honest) or a dishonest platitude (if he wished to not offend, or to manipulate the conversation in some way).

He still did not fully understand what he was looking for, but it was something that his family members had, and something he had seen among many of the Scarburg folk as well: a fullness, a satisfaction in their lives, and an optimism for the future: hope, he supposed it was hope. He did not know how to find those things for himself, but maybe he could have a chance to try.

He could not quite bring himself to say the word, though. “I want to put my misdeeds behind me,” he answered, “and to live without fear of anyone laying charge against me.” He paused a moment, then supposed he might as well bring up the rest of it as well, while he had Eodwine’s attention. “Nothing more would I ask, though I came back to Scarburg with the thought that I might stay. I have spent the last three and a half years learning leatherworking. I would offer my services.”