View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #73
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The travelers crossed the bridge over The Water and stopped in Budgeford for the night. There was a good inn there, as there was in almost every Shire village, and their stay was both comfortable and fairly priced.

In the morning, over first breakfast, Snatch seemed to catch whiff of something right there in the common room that set him off agrumbling and agrowling again, so he only gave half his nose and eyes to Gaffer's plate; which was unusual for Snatch, so Gaffer took notice despite the pain in his ankle which was not lessening as he'd hoped.

"What's up, Snatch, my boy?" He tossed him a piece of sausage that in Snatch's distraction he actually missed, his jaws snapping on air. Most unusual indeed, though the dog was quick enough to scoop it off the wood floor as quick as nothing. Even while chewing he went back to growling and grumbling, which was sort of comical in its way. "Don't go growling with your mouth full o' food, Snatch," Hugo chuckled.

But he took a look in the general direction of Snatch's mistrust, and saw that lone hobbit again that seemed to have decided to go the same way they had. Hugo caught the eye of the hobbit once when he glanced over toward him, and the young hobbit - for he seemed short in years as well as height not to mention grooming - blushed red as a ripe tomato.

"Rudy," Gaffer said to his nephew sitting next to him, busy with his eggs and sausage, "there's somethin' off about that hobbit, that tweener I bet or I'm a babe in arms."

Rudy nodded. "I've been watching him too."

Brown overheard from across the table and took a surreptitious look back of himself in that direction.

"What do you make of it if anything, Brown?"