View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #116
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Turthôl, Turthôl! Rangar has been attacked!"

The cry pierced through the dark fog like a knife into Turthôl's ears. He took off in the direction of the cry, with Wren behind him. He drew his sword as he ran, so as to be prepared for anything.

He saw two figures in the dark, and as he came close, he saw that it was Enien with Rangar. He was laying on the ground and seemed to be wounded.

"Rangar, are you all right?" he said as he came up.

"He's wounded...help me get him back," Enien said.

He turned to Wren. "Wren, go and get Carmilita. Quick!" Wren turned and ran back to camp.

"Are you ok?" Turthôl asked again.

"I'm...alright," Rangar muttered.

Anger swelled within Turthôl as they carried Rangar back to camp. Who was this that was hunting his friend?

"Do you know who it was that attacked you?" Turthôl asked.

"No, but he wants to kill me," Rangar replied.

"Not if I can help it," Turthôl said.

Rangar was wrapped up next to the fire. Carmilita was watching him and tending whatever wounds he had. Turthôl, however, was gearing up to head into the fog. He was going to track this hunter and maye kill him.

As he was slinging his quiver over his back, Wren and Enien walked over.

"What are you doing, Turthôl?" Wren asked. Enien also looked worried.

"I'm going to track whoever did this and make them pay If I'm not back by morning, go on without me. I'll catch up," he replied.

"I'll go with you," Enien said.

"No, I kill alone," Turthôl muttered.

"Hasn't there been enough killing?" Wren said. Turthôl could tell that she was frustrated.

"Yes, but it won't stop until this man is stopped. He will only stop if he is dead," he answered. He finished gearing up and he looked at the two women.

"Look what has happened to Bregand and now Rangar. Not another of my companion's are going to get hurt or die," Turthôl said.

As he turned Wren said, "Is this about Sartir again?"

Turthôl turned and glared at her. Enien looked confused.

"Don't bring that up!" he said. His anger was getting too much to handle. He turned and left into the fog.

Wren and Enien stared after him until he was gone.

"Who's Sartir?" Enien asked.

Wren proceeded to tell Enien what Turthôl had said about his past. After she was finished, she said, "I don't know if I was supposed to tell you that but..."

"He's murdered a man?" Enien asked, shocked. "I can't believe a Dúnedain is a..."

"Can you blame him though?" Wren asked.

"But murder is murder! So now he has murdered two people." Enien said.

"Two? What do you mean?" Wren asked confused.

"After the fight when you had been taken, he had captured a wild man. The wild man wouldn't answer any questions, so Turthôl killed him. The man was unarmed and blind...blind because Turthôl had put his eyes out during the fight with fire, and Turthôl...killed him."

They stood there in silence. After a few minutes, Wren said, "We can't judge him. He has been through things that nobody can imagine. The life of a Dúnedain is..." she didn't know what to say.

"Come, let's head back to camp. I'm worried where Turthôl will lead this company. Rangar must know." Enien said.

They headed back to camp.

Turthôl searched the ground. He could see the footprints of the struggle. He could see Rangar's prints. He saw Enien's prints as she arrived to help Rangar, and he saw the prints of the hunter as they headed off into the fog. He followed them. After a few yards he came upon an arrow, portruding out of the ground. He picked it up and examined it. By the look of it, it was elvish, so he assumed it was Enien's. He stowed it in his quiver.

He stayed low to the ground as he followed the footprints. He knew he wasn't making a good impression on the rest of the company. His disregard for life and recklessness was hurting his relationship with them, but he had to make sacrifices. He was willing to let them think he was insane, if it resulted in them being alive when this was all over.

The tracks led into the woods, and Turthôl followed.

[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: Earendil Halfelven ]