View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #58
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Despite an absolutely fascinating fourteen-year-old discussion about Boromir (of all characters for this chapter!),~Form
The 14-years ago me was more interested in the courageous warrior, Boromir, and the stoutly loyal Gimli. I thought it ridiculous Haldir would treat Gimli so poorly, when as Gimli points out Durin's line had never aided Sauron nor done harm to the Elves. Now I'm much more interested in the curious Pippin, and all the hobbits in general. When Boromir's not fighting, or not providing the muscle for the Fellowship, he really is rather dislikeable and ignorant. Every time he speaks, just proves how little he knows, unless it's about bravery in war.

Quote:
"I do not doubt you," said Haldir. "Yet this is our law. I am not the master of the law, and cannot set it aside. I have done much in letting you set foot over Celebrant."
This won't be the last time a lowly soldier breaks the law. In contrast to the "happier times" Gandalf spoke of several chapters ago, these are dark and sad times, where Sauron's greatest power is the "estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him."

This power of Sauron, that Haldir speaks of, is strengthened by these sorts of laws that only serve to divide "all who still oppose him." These laws which are meant to protect the Elves (and maybe have in some ways protected them), but there are also consequences to their laws that have isolated them from all others. And previously I did not give enough credit for Haldir setting aside their laws. I guess I expected all Elves in Tolkien to be like the "high and mighty" Galadriel and Celeborn. And I've gained an appreciation of Haldir's character, being the "commoner," closer in status to Hama another "law breaker" we meet later.