View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #46
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Sting

Apparently, since 2008, this has been the one chapter of Book I that no one had very much to say about. If one takes that fact at face value, it's a bit baffling, because the pre-2008 discussions are vibrant and this is certainly a chapter with some important things going on: most especially the climax of the whole first book, but also the resolution of events at Weathertop and the introduction of a particularly interesting side-character, Glorfindel.

Glorfindel might actually be more interesting post-LotR than he was at the time of writing--or even the time of publication--because Tolkien didn't decide right away that this was THE Glorfindel of "The Fall of Gondolin," though given his characterisation as unusually potent in the other realm, it seems clear that Tolkien was toying with some sort of a connection from the beginning.

Considering that "The Fall of Gondolin" was basically the first tale written of the Lost Tales, the first fully-fleshed out story of Middle-earth, and considering also the importance given to the Gondolin legend as a matter of background in The Hobbit, I think it noteworthy that an actual character from that tale gets drawn into the LotR.

Another, far more minor thing, that caught my eye is that, early in the chapter, after tending to Frodo's wound, immediately before he goes in search of the athelas, Strider draws Sam to him and tells him what he knows or suspects happened with the Black Riders and charges him with protecting Frodo.

It's a small thing, but the text definitely says that he sends Merry and Pippin to do one thing and draws Sam over to speak to him quietly. In other words, it could be said that Strider treats Sam like the leader of the three hobbits.

This marks a change, I think. Although Sam has always been the second hobbit from the point of view of the reader, having been introduced as Frodo's travelling companion before the two others unmask their conspiracy, the events previously always put Merry in a position of leadership. It's possible, of course, that Strider isn't deferring to Sam as the senior hobbit (he actually is the oldest after Frodo), but recognises that he's the one with the deepest affection and concern for Frodo. Even if so, however, the way Strider does it still seemed to represent a bit of a shift--it might actually be the first time in the book that presents "Merry and Pippin" as a distinctly junior (more disposable?) pair of hobbits. Previously, if there were pairs at all, it was as much Frodo/Merry and Sam/Pippin as Frodo/Sam and Merry/Pippin.

(Or not--I am sure counterexamples could be found, but knowing the textual history of Book I involved a lot of shifting of hobbit names and roles, I think there could be a shift here, and the previous chapter discussions talked a lot about the hobbit personalities--especially Merry's--and this seems a pertinent addendum thereto.)