View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #200
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Éomeléo started: a loud clatter came from somewhere nearby. Through that wall, was it? Or maybe to the ri-

"Oh my! What was that? I say, what is happening? Did you hear it? That noi-"

"Quiet, you oaf!" Ah, satisfaction at last. Miko was silent for once, and Éomeléo could detect his palpable sense of surprise at being reprimanded.

The Gondorian stayed still but craned his neck forward in a ridiculous attempt to hear better. He heard shuffling sounds from through the wall, and hushed voices, female voices. Then they were quiet, though their movement remained audible to the trained ears of the prisoners. The dark of the cell seemed to shimmer and float, the excitement playing tricks on Éomeléo's eyes. But the noises had disappeared.

"Miko, I don't know who they were but they seemed scared; they weren't bawling like usual. Maybe they aren't the fiends who are keeping us here."

"Could be, could be, sir, it's all rather strange to me" replied Miko. "It did seem quite as if they knocked something over, something very heavy; or perhaps they fell. It reminded me of a time I was staying up North, somewhat -- well, I say up North; what I really mean is in the old country -- we call it old on account of its receiving trading rights from the old King, I forget which one exactly, well before the south. It was all to do with-"

"Miko, quiet!"

Mercifully, the sound of heavy footsteps was becoming very prominent. Éomeléo took a deep breath, several actually, and tried to compose himself.

"Miko, that's the guard. It's time. Do you feel capable of this?"

"If it's as easy as you say it is then of course, old chap!"

It was time for Miko's incomparable skills to be put to the test. The footsteps reached the door, and the key turned in the lock.