View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #26
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Mark12_30:
Quote:
Celeborn receives several rebukes from Galadriel. If Celeborn was always one step ahead of Galadriel, someone would criticize Tolkien for his weak female characters (again). To me, Celeborn's ability to accept and handle contradiction smoothly is a sign of wisdom and strength. If he was cocky or defensive or he ignored her, I'd be much less impressed by him.
Agreed. I admit that Celeborn comes across as a somewhat weak character, at least on the surface. But I have a higher opinion of someone who's willing to admit he's wrong than someone who at all costs avoids coming across as weak. I think Celeborn is perhaps analogous to Goldberry - not the dominant personality in Lorien, but an important one. There is also something like an analogy in Doriath - while Thingol certainly takes a more dominant role than Celeborn, he is not at all afraid to take advice from Melian. And when he refuses to listen to her, the results are generally disastrous.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote