View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 07:11 PM   #23
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil

Interestingly, in the late text where she refuses the pardon of the Valar, her mother-name is "Nerwen" - "man-maiden".
I'm so glad someone pointed that out; as I was reading from Child's post regarding Galadriel's "genderlessness" I was a tad surprised to see it wasn't mentioned sooner.

In this respect, she can be considered a maiden with man-like qualities, referring to her great strength and willpower. The "man" and the "maiden" in her could perhaps cancel one another out and leave her genderless, but she has always seemed feminine to me. We see aspects of the Crone in her; although she shows little sign of age she carries the wisdom of many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem

Mother of Divine Grace; Mother most pure;Mother most chaste; Mother most pure; Mother of good counsel; Mirror of justice; Seat of wisdom; Spiritual vessel; Mystical Rose; Gate of Heaven; Morning Star; Health of the sick; Comforter of the Afflicted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry

Those of you who know the old Hebrew Bible might know the term satan, not as a diabolical agent who opposes God but as an angel who, not necessarily malevolent, opposes human desires for the purpose of warning them against a bad path. This would explain why Galadriel claims she will not give counsel, as she is not a counsellor.
I am not Christian and am hardly a theologian, but I found davem's mention of Mary being called "Morning Star" very interesting. I do believe that "Lucifer" also means "morning star," and Lucifer fell and became known as Satan. Bethberry makes reference to satan as an angel who seems to be an opposing force but is really acting for the better good. It all seems to come full circle back to Galadriel.

Just some food for thought; if anyone with more knowledge than me on matters of Christian theology cares to expand upon this, please do.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote