View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #16
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien He whom Tolkien regarded as always there, even if he did not name him....

Quote:
To my regret, I do not know Abraham Herchel's [i]The Prophets[/b]--something I should redress I think. My understanding of prophets is that they carry God's message to others, they speak for God in His name. Would this be possible in a work of Middle-earth, particularly one where Eru's name is not mentioned? This gets us into the realm of Tolkien's allusions ("consciously so in the revision" as I recall Littlemanpoet's excellent thread). Given that LotR does not make explicit the cosmology of TheSilm, I myself can not see Galadriel as a phrophet (prohetess?) in this text. For this reason, I preferred to think of her as a challenger who helps stimulate the members of the Fellowship to reflect upon their roles and the self-knowledge and self-discipline which will be required of them.
Bethberry -

Heschel's ideas are complex and difficult to convey in a concise manner. His two-volume study, first published in 1962, was widely read among both Jewish and Christian scholars and is today regarded as a classic. He is a theologian who writes like a poet: this can be clearly seen in his popular volume God in Search of Man, which I think you might find especially enjoyable.

Heschel did not deny the reality of revelation to the Hebrew prophets, but the emphasis of his own study is very different. Perhaps I can give you a taste of what Heschel meant (and, as a side line, what I mean by applying the term prophet with a little "p" to Galadriel) by throwing out just a few quotes from his introduction:

Quote:
The prophet is a person, not a microphone......The prophet's task is to convey a divine view, yet as a person he is a point of view. He speaks from the perspective of God as perceived from the perspective of his own situation. We must seek to understand not only the views he expounded but also the attitudes he embodied: his own position, feeling, response--not only what he said but also what he lived; the private, the intimate dimension of the word, the subjective side of the message.....

The prophet is not only a prophet. He is also poet, teacher, ...social critic, moralist. There has been a tendency to see the essence and chief significance of prophecy in the display of one or other of these aspects. Yet this is a misapprehension of the intrinsic nature of prophecy.....

Heschel's stress is not on revelation but response. He is looking at the individual who has struggled with questions on another plane of being, one who has stepped into a world beyond the commonplace, yet who now returns and, because of that struggle, is able to combat hostile powers or spirits.

Doesn't such a description fit Galadriel? She is a prophet with a small "p" reacting from the depths of her own experience, able to interpret the reality of unseen things because she has struggled with them herself. Galadriel is certainly not a direct spokesmen for Eru, but she has grappled with things that others scarcely know exist, something which others sense. I certainly felt that in my own reading. Galadriel knows more about the West and the music of creation than most of those whom she deals with, even among the Elves.

Just as Elvish art looks like "magic" to most of us, so too a hobbit like Samwise would have a hard time truly comprehending Galadriel's past life: her experience in the West, how the great events of the Silm touched her life for good or evil, and the degree of understanding and wisdom she has gained. Moreover, Galadriel has taken such a tortured route to get to the place where she is now: the point where she can actually reject the Ring. Her spirit pervades Lorien, and it is this spirit that compels each of the Fellowship to look inside themselves and ask difficult, even disturbing questions. If we leave aside the question of revelation, that is surely the central function of a prophet. It is not a matter of judging the person or offering a complete assessment of what is going to happen. Instead, it is suggesting possibilities and inviting another person to examine the things inside their own soul in terms of those possibilities. This is what Boromir, and also Samwise and Frodo, found so challenging, even frightening. To put it bluntly, Galadriel is a very "scary" figure. She is someone who makes us look in the mirror and confront ourselves. She also seems quite different than any of the other female characters whom Tolkien developed in either LotR or Silm. Why is this, or has my mind been twisted by the scenes in PJ's move? I would love to hear other views.

In terms of Galadriel's gender....yes, she certainly had marriage and a family. The marriage, however, is also depicted in a manner that is unusual for Tolkien. At the end of the story, we aren't sure where or when or even if she and her husband will come together. I can't think of too many "good guys/gals" in Tolkien who voluntarily separate themselves from their spouse! Tolkien is very careful to keep many of his characters single precisely because he does not want them to have the responsibilities of wife and hearth that would tie them down. "Good" married couples just don't go running off in two separate directions in Middle-earth. But once again, Galadriel is different.

And sorry for running off in this particular direction instead of focusing on the chapter as a whole. But I always have the feeling that she and Frodo stand at the heart of this chapter, and everything else is secondary.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 10-26-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote