View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #14
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
I would be remiss if I didnt throw down my opinion on my fav. chaper(s) in the books. Perhaps JRRT was hinting at allusions to Mary in her character, I can see why there would be some who draw that conclusion. I would not call her genderless either. For me, from read #1 back in the day, the wonder and interest came from the fact that here is an elf who was and Elf. The personification of what was being laid down in the treatment of Lorien itself. An embodiment of the Elder days. As if it werent wonderous enough for us to get a glimpse of a bygone time/imagination walking with hobbits in ME, here we have a moment to ponder an even more glorious/heroic age that is more ancient than what we are experiencing.

This was later reinforced by JRRT's choice of treatment of the character evolution in The Silm. Here was an Elf Lady who is in ME, and remembers walking in a Valinor that was illuminated by the Two Trees. The same Elf who turned down a request from Feanor himself. Strong woman indeed. Apprenticing with Melian for how many years..?

Her temptation of the fellowship was for me logical. She is not a councilor as already proven. She was a major player in events. Her participation in the White councils shows this. If she was at Rivendell at the time of the formation of the fellowship i could see her sitting down with each and every member, doing what she did in Lorien, testing and challenging hearts...

As for elf magic /technology - yes i agree most of what Sam calls magic is simply a result of a culture of people who live for thousands of years and have gained an Understanding of things in their world. But i would say there is 5-10% that is Mystery that probably comes from their Fea.

The movie treatment - Blanchett as a choice - ok - could have been better. Her temptation scene treatment - rediculous. I do like PJ's treatment of Lorien itself a wonderfull quick glimpse (too quick) at the "other side" of the elvish experience - most scenes at night with the wonderfull lighting, dangerous, intriguing, Mysterious.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote