View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 10:18 AM   #4
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Estelyn wrote:
Quote:
This is Galadriel’s chapter!
Just as the seventh chapter of the previous book was Tom Bombadil's chapter. I think that your repetition of that introduction points to some important analogies between I-7 and II-7. In both cases we are in the middle of a three-chapter detour from the main plot, in a safe haven in a forest (which Lorien certainly is on the surface, despite any underyling peril). And just as Goldberry is often forgotten, Celeborn seems often to fall by the wayside as it were. Celeborn is an interesting figure. If we are to go by the writings from shortly after LotR, he is a Sinda and a relation of Thingol; in some very late writings he becomes a Teler from Alqualonde.

Particularly with the former story, Lorien becomes a sort of echo of Doriath. The power of Nenya plays something of the same role as Melian's power, putting a kind of protection over the realm. As in Doriath (and as has been noted), there is something of a "provincial" outlook, for lack of a better term. This analogy is also supported by the story of Aragorn's meeting with Arwen, which of course echoes Beren's with Luthien. One wonders to what extent Celeborn is responsible for this. If he is a Sinda then he is at once closer to Doriath and to the Silvan Elves of his realm than Galadriel, a Noldo in every account.

Galadriel's story also fluctuated considerably. Like Celeborn, she was invented for LotR - but Tolkien seemed to consider her a major personality in the Legendarium, and expended considerable effort trying to find a place for her in the Silmarillion. The earlier story is that she rebelled along with the rest of the Noldor, though apparently for better reasons than many others, and returned to Middle-earth. In one account she is too proud to accept the pardon of the Valar and that's why she remains after the War of Wrath. In another (and this I think fits best with her portrayal in LotR) she, being the only remaining leader of the rebellion, is not pardoned by the Valar. This story lends great significance to her "passing of the test" in this chapter, for by refusing the Ring she finally gains re-admittance to the West. But in the same late writings that make Celeborn a Valinorean, the story is altered so that Galadriel does not join the rebellion but leaves Valinor with Celeborn for reasons of her own - and she would have been permitted to leave had her voyage not coincided with Feanor's flight. These three different accounts generate quite different readings of the chapter at hand.

One miscellaneous bit from this chapter that I find curious is Merry's reaction to Galadriel's gaze:

Quote:
'That's funny,' said Merry. 'Almost exactly what I felt myself; only, only well, I don't think I'll say any more,' he ended lamely.
What's Merry's secret? Or is it nothing?
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote