View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 04:34 AM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Well the intended quotes I was going to show would delve deeper into the Boromir topic of the previous chapter, but just so happens, I realize those quotes are in the next chapter "Farewell to Lorien." So, the anticipation will just have to mount for another week lol. Here's what I got.

Quote:
There is a little bit more on Boromir to point out.
"To me it seemed exceedingly strange," said Boromir. "Maybe it was only a test, and she thought to read our thoughts for her own good purpose; but almost I should have said that she was tempting us and offering what she pretended to have the power to give. It need not be said that I refused to listen. The Men of Minas Tirith are true to their word." But what he thought that the Lady had offered him Boromir did not tell.
I will have to say that Boromir could be right here. The Lady looked each Fellowship member in their eyes, and from the previous paragraphs Merry, Pip, Sam, Frodo all said it seemed like she offered them something. It would seem Galadriel acted as the Ring. Offering the people their desires, what they want. As Boromir said "she pretend to have the power to give," which I would think that's right. She tempted them, but did not have the power to give it to them. As Boromir said "Maybe it was only a test," that's what it appears to be. The Lady just testing the Fellowship members, seeing if they would hold true.

Then we have the wonderful Boromir boasting about the Men of Minas Tirith. It's a pity that we don't know what the Lady offered Boromir (or the others) but we can definately make a logical guess.

Quote:
"No," she said. "I do not counsel you one way or the other. I am not a counsellor. You may learn something, and whether what you see be fair or evil, that may be profitable, and yet it may not. Seeing is both good and perilous.
Here we see the difference between the Elf-lord of Rivendell and the Elf-lady of Lothlorien. She does not counsel, or "contrive plans" to defeat the Enemy. Where Gandalf and Elrond both came up with the plan to beat Sauron. Even though Galadriel does not counsel, what she does show, is in a way "counselling." The Mirror (in both Frodo and Sam) shows a snip of the future, and what is revealed, as Galadriel says, "you may learn something."

I don't have the time to quote the two paragraphs of Sam and Frodo looking into the water, so you will all just have to trust me lol.

In both cases they see the future. Sam sees the devastation of the Shire, he also sees Frodo lying pale cold under a dark cliff (sounds sort of like Shelob). Frodo sees a wizard in white, and since it reminds him of Gandalf, it probably is Gandalf, since from the Appendix Gandalf has just returned to life on the day they view the Mirror of Galadriel. Then Frodo also sees the future doom of Minas Tirith, black sails (Corsairs), a fortress with seven towers, bearing a White Tree as an emblem (Minas Tirith). Then there's smoke and Fire.

Sam after seeing the Mirror wishes to go home, the Lady responds.
Quote:
"You cannot go home alone," said the Lady. "You did not wish to go home without your master before you looked in the Mirror, and yet you knew that evil things might well be happening in the Shire. Remember that the Mirror shows many things, and not all have yet come to pass. Some never come to be, unless those that behold the visions turn aside from their path to prevent them. The Mirror is dangerous as a guide of deeds."
Ahh, the "danger" of the Mirror is revealed. It's as if Tolkien is trying to say, it's dangerous to see the future. For Sam's path is with Frodo, all of a suddenly he see's what will happen to the Shire, and he wants to leave to "prevent" it. I can't think of that saying right now, but it has something to do with the future, lol. Also, I think it deals with fate too, Sam's path is with Frodo, if he turns from that path, if he turns away from his "destiny," who knows what will happen.

Finally, just one thing I need to point out, as I found this out just a couple months ago, whilst rereading the chapter.

Quote:
Frodo gazed at the ring with awe...
"Yes," she said divining his thought, "it is not permitted to spek of it and Elrond could not do so...
"He suspects, but does not know-not yet. Do you not see now wherefore your coming is to us as the footstep of Doom? For if you fail, then we are laid bare to the Enemy. Yet if you succeed, then out power is diminished, and Lothlorien will fade, and the tites of Time will sweep it away. We must depart into the West, or dwindle to a rustic folk of dell and cave, slowly to forget and to be forgotten."
Quote:
"And did you not see and recognize the ring upon my finger? Did you see my ring?" she asked turning agin to Sam.
"No, Lady, he answered.....
What I just learned was the three-elven rings are invisible while on their bearers finger. Frodo can see it because he wields the one ring, and it only goes to resemble the fact that if the One is destroyed, the Three will lose their powers. Then Lothlorien will fade...etc. That is why in the Grey Havens, Sam then sees Vilya on Elrond's hands, not something important, just something I found out a couple months ago.

Anyway, some to bring up, this just goes and reinforces the fact that look at what the Elves are giving up. They're giving up this wonderful home of Lothlorien to see Middle-Earth restored back to peace. Really amazing, and courageous, if you think about it.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote