View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #42
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
was Frodo the only one who saw Glorfindel shining in the light of Valinor? Was he able to see that because of the influence of the Ring? Could only those who had some connection with the spiritual realm see the light? If so, then there had to be at least some contact between the spiritual realms of light and darkness; apparently the Wraiths saw the light as well. I'm reminded of Biblical accounts of battles between the forces of good and evil, unseen by earthly beings.

....Yup. Pervasive, I think, so much so (to me) that I am surprised it is a matter of question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Athelas is also interesting, as its healing 'power' seems to come as much from Aragorn as from any inherent virtue it may have. (Of course, this is contradicted by a comment made by Tolkien that the healing herb Huan brings to Luthien to cure Beren was also Athelas.)
Not a contradiction, davem! Luthien has plenty of innate power too-- plenty more than Aragorn, I think. Can you imagine Aragorn singing to Melkor! eeeeep.

Seems to me that it's not just the herb (an infusion of which is good for headaches) and not just the man(why did he go looking for the athelas if the power all came from him anyway?) -- but a process involving rest, easing of pain, and immersion in truth and what is good. I'm thinking of the Houses of Healing, where Aragorn first infuses the athelas, then uses osanwe to go after the wandering soul. Again, Aragorn didn't start without the Athelas; but just the herb without the man would have only cured the headache, not the Black Breath.