View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 09:33 AM   #24
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
Aragorn's talk of Beren and Luthien is probably the biggest reference. But even here, we are told only about a single incident in the story of Beren and Luthien - their meeting. Elsewhere there is a reference to Ancalagon; mention is made of Hador and Turin; there is Bilbo's poem about Earendil; there is the Balrog; Thangorodrim is mentioned. But most of these are just superficial references. The important events of the Silmarillion are not discussed at all. Even in the two big history chapters - I-2 and II-2 - nothing substantive is said about the First Age. The history that lies behind LotR, and that is alluded to in LotR, is for the most part not the Quenta Silmarillion of the First Age but rather the events of the Second Age and the Third Age. The Fall of Gil-Galad, Aragorn's kingship, the Rings, the Barrow-downs - all of the history that really matters to LotR comes from the Second and Third Ages.
Aiwendil-- I would (mostly) agree; except for the whole splintered light concept. Bilbo's poem serves to set up Sam later: Galadriel's phial is from Earendil, and Sam recognizes it and ties the story all the way back to the silmarils. And there is Gandalf's cmmment in the House of Elrond that Frodo would become like a clear glass filled with light, for those to see who can.

Whether one calls this major or minor I suppose depends on how much one focuses on the symbolism of the light.